Itasca County Family YMCA:
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
A collaboration between ElderCircle, City of Grand Rapids, Grand Itasca Clinic & Hospital and YMCA.
The Itasca County Family YMCA Advisory Committee named ORB as their Owner’s Representative for the planning, design and construction process of an expansion and renovation of their existing facility. The project includes an Active Living Center, clini c space, Adult Day Stay area and improvements to ke y YMCA program spaces. The Advisory Committee’s goal is to have the $4MM – $5MM project up and running by fall/winter of 2014.
Betsy McBride, Executive Director, on behalf of the Advisory Committee, stated that ORB was selected because the company has: 1) an outstanding track re cord advising on other YMCA projects; 2) the leadership skills and ability to align multiple stakeholder groups with common, unified goals; 3) shared values with the YMCA; and 4) demonstrated care for people and safety over care for just a project.
Wade Cole, ORB’s Project Manager, will facilitate and lead the project. According to Cole, “Qualifications bring opportunities. It’s the inta ngibles that create trusted partnerships and lastin g relationships. Equipped with our passion for excel lence and the YMCA mission, we are excited to help the Itasca Y and the Grand Rapids community expand their mission through this facility investment.
- Owners Representative
- Liaison between Owner, architect, engineers and contractors
- Advice, input and leadership on planning activities to facilitate decision-making
- Development of responsibility matrix and master program schedule
- Development of centralized cost management system for project
- Design team solicitation, selection and management
- Construction Manager solicitation, selection and management
- Negotiation of Construction Manager’s Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP)
- Value engineering recommendations
- Comprehensive review and provide input on final construction bid documents
- Monitor request for information (RFI) process
- Betsy McBride, Executive Director
Tom Wacholz, P.E.
President / Founder
Recognizing the fact that traditional project delivery methods were not always in the best interest of the clients’ long-term facility goals, Tom’s business philosophy is centered around a desire to combine the best practices available in the industry with emerging technologies, intellectual property, strategic professional resources and a far deeper understanding of the client’s needs. Coupled with over 28 years of operational expertise, Tom’s faith, client focus and visionary leadership are key to ORB’s success.